B & O Railroad, Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, U.S. Civil War

The Baltimore And Ohio Railroad Station In Ellicott City – The Oldest Railroad Station In The United States

The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad constructed a freight station in Ellicott Mills, Maryland, which later became known as Ellicott City, in the year 1830. This station was part of the first thirteen miles of commercial railroad ever built in the United States. In the 1850s, the facility transported both freight and passengers. During the U.S. Civil War the facility was essential in transporting supplies and Union Army troops.

The Baltimore & Ohio Train Station transported passengers until December 31, 1949 and freight until the 1970s.

In present day the station serves as the B & O Railroad Station Museum with U.S. Civil War exhibits such as, “The War Came By Train”. The musuem has eight cars and locomotives that had utilized during the war.

Additonal Recourses:

Daniel Toomey’s book, “The War Came by Train: The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad During the Civil War” explains how the Ellicott City station was instrumental in the protection of the United States Capital during the U.S. Civil War.

Ellicott City, Maryland

The Founding Of Ellicott City, Maryland

Quaker brothers Andrew Ellicott, John Ellicott, and Joseph Ellicott from Bucks County, Pennslyvania, purchased land west of Baltimore in 1772, in an area that would become known as Ellicott’s Mills.

The brothers created wheat mills, in addition to mills for other grains. The brothers convinced local farmers to not create tobacco farms.

Ellicott Mills was eventually renamed to Ellicott City.

Sykesville, Maryland

Napoleon Bonaparte’s Brother’s Marriage To A Woman In Sykesville, Maryland

According to the Carroll County Times, “In 1803, Sykesville was involved in an international kerfuffle when Patterson’s daughter, Betsy, married Jerome Bonaparte, brother of Napoleon. However, Napoleon declared the marriage illegal a year later and ordered Jerome to return to France, which he did, with his new wife by his side. When Napoleon refused to let her land, Betsy returned to her father at Springfield, and in 1815, Maryland granted her a divorce.

Krystal Marie Hamilton, Sykesville, Maryland

The Founding of Sykesville, Maryland

In the 1800s, Horse Train Stop, Maryland, which was an unincorporated area within Carroll County, was a farmland area that trains passed through. William Patterson, a shipbuilder in Baltimore, established a Springfield Estate in the area. In 1904, the site of Horse Train Stop was incorporated as the town of Sykesville, Maryland.

In 1825, George Patterson sold the Springfield Estate to James Sykes, the man whom the town of Sykesville was named after.

The Carroll County Times has multiple articles on the histories of all the towns within Carroll County.

Author’s Note:

The author Philip Hamilton had lived in Sykesville, Maryland from 2009 to 2011. Philip’s oldest daughter Krystal Marie Hamilton presently lives in Sykesville.

Processional Cross, Processional Crucifix, The Walters Art Museum

The Walters Art Museum

The Walters Art Museum is a fantastic musuem that exhibits royal paintings and furniture from various countries.

There is a mummy of a child who lived in ancient Egypt that is exhibited in the museum.

One piece of cabinet furniture I saw, the “Cabinet With Mythological Scenes” had a wooden engraving of Rome within its top two drawers.

The columns and other parts of the landscape were carved and the background was painted to make it a three dimensional piece of art within the interior.

The painting, “Wonders of the Ancient World” depicts various architecture from Ancient Greece and Rome.

Another wooden cabinet had several engravings in it depicting royalty in the Middle Ages.

Two other noteworthy prices of furniture, with detailed landscapes, were of European and Asian origin.

The “Processional Cross”, also known as the Processional Crucifix, was an heavily detailed Spanish style Cross that was made from 1480 to 1510.

The Hall of Arms and Armor consists of a set of centuries old suits of armor at the musuem.

In addition to the suits of armor there are swords, crossbows, firearms and other weapons at the musuem.

Each of the firearms within the “Hall of Armor” are hundreds of years old.

The “Hall of Arms and Armor” is part of a larger “Theatre of the Universe” collection within the Walter Musuem’s Chamber of Wonders.

Charles Carroll III, Charles Carroll of Carrolton, Doughoregan Manor Chapel, Ellicott City, Maryland

Charles Carroll III – The Last Surviving Signer Of The Declaration Of Independence

Charles Carroll III, also known as Charles Carroll of Carrolton, was born in Annapolis, Maryland on September 19, 1737 and was one of 56 colonists to sign the Declaration of Independence in 1776. During the Revolutionary War Charles Carroll III served in the Continental Congress, on the Board of War and worked on drafting the various versions of the state constitutions for the State of Maryland.

John Trumbull’s painting, “Declaration of Independence” depicts the presentation of a draft of the document to the Second Continental Congress. It hangs in the U.S. Capitol rotunda. (Baltimore Sun)

In 1781, Charles Carroll III was elected the the Maryland Senate and was elected to the first Federal Congress in 1788. In 1790, Charles Carroll III was re-elected to the Maryland senate where he served until 1800.

During Charles Carroll’s time as a politician he lived in Annapolis at the Charles Carroll House.

In 1828, Charles Carroll III laid the cornerstone to the Phoenix Shot Tower in Baltimore. Charles Carroll III was the last surviving signer of the Declaration do Independence when he died in Baltimore on November 14, 1932. Charles Carroll III’s was buried at the Doughoregan Manor Chapel in Ellicott City, Maryland.

Various states, such as Kentucky and Georgia, have named their towns in Charles Carroll III’s honor.

Baltimore, Maryland, Charles Carroll III, Charles Carroll of Carrolton, Declaration of Independence, One World Trade Center, The Twin Towers

The World Trade Center Of Baltimore

The World Trade Center of Baltimore was constructed in 1977, along Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, and is the worlds tallest pentagonal shaped building in the world.

Steel from the original Twin Towers of the New York World Trade Center, which part of a complex of seven buildings that were built in 1973 and were destroyed by the September 11th 2001 terrorist attack in New York City, are in front of the World Trade Center of Baltimore. The World Trade Center of Baltimore is a satellite building of the World Trade Center complex of New York that were destroyed in 2001 and rebuilt from 2006 to 2014 as the One World Trade Center.

The 11th story of the building hosts the “Top Of The World” observation deck which has a variety of historical markers describing the different sections of the city

One of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, Charles Carroll III, who also went by Charles Carroll of Carrolton, laid the cornerstone of the Phoenix Shot Tower, which is also referred to as the Old Baltimore Shot Tower. When the construction of the Phoenix Shot Tower was completed is 234.25 feet tall and it was the tallest structure built in the United States at the time. In present day, the Phoenix Shot Tower May be seen from the World Trade Center Baltimore building.

Author’s Note:

Charles Carroll III died in 1832 and was the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence.