Cold War, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Soviet Union, University of California Radiation Laboratory

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

In 1952, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory was constructed as a component of the University of California Radiation Laboratory. The US federal government utilized the facility to conduct studies on nuclear weaponry, and the radiation emitted form them, as part of it’s national security strategy during the Cold War with the Soviet Union.

The site of the laboratory had been utilized by native Americans hundreds of years ago.

The Lawerence Laboratory was named after Lawerence whom was a physics professor at University of California Berkley campus.

The Discovery Center, within the laboratory, features a history of the technologies that were developed in the facility.

The facility has a replica of a NIF chamber which replicated nuclear reactions for scientists to observe.

Within the center, there are several exhibits within including some on the development of nuclear weaponry and the use of missiles on submarines.

Native Americans have contributed to the Lawerence Laboratory as researchers and scientists.

The laboratory has an observatory, which is nextdoor to the Discovery Center on the grounds.

The following video has more information on the history of the Lawerence Laboratory.

https://youtu.be/owxZJ3_P4eU

Authors Note:

In 2017, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory featured an episode of Jeopardy.