The King and Queen Courthouse Tavern Museum, Union Colonel Ulric Dahlgren

The King And Queen Courthouse Tavern Museum – The Only Surviving Structure From The March 10, 1864 Union Raid

The King and Queen Courthouse Tavern Museum is the only surviving structure from a March 10, 1864 Union raid on the King and Queen Courthouse and surrounding county seat buildings, as retaliation for the killing of Union Colonel Ulric Dahlgren. The King and Queen Courthouse Tavern Museum hosts several historical exhibits from King and Queen County, Virginia.

King And Queen County, Virginia, Union Colonel Ulric Dahlgren

The Burning Of King And Queen County Buildings As Retaliation For The Killing Of Union Colonel Ulric Dahlgren

One of the first New Kent County, Virginia courthouses were built in the 1600s. In 1691, When King and Queen County was created from part of New Kent, a courthouse formerly in New Kent was in the newly formed county.

On March 10, 1864, union soldiers led by the father of Union Colonel Ulric Dahlgren burned the courthouse, and several buildings surrounding the structure, as retaliation for the killing of his son at King and Queen County. The legislature, after the war, decided to keep the site of the King and Queen Courthouse as the county seat. Thus, in 1866 the courthouse, the clerk’s office and the jail were rebuilt on their original foundations.