The Japanese American Memorial to Patriotism During World War II is a memorial dedicated to the Japanese Americans who faught during the Great War and to those who were unjustly interned in camps during the war.
The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association hosts the site of Billy Graham’s former childhood home, his library and the gravesite of Billy Graham and his wife Ruth Graham.
The Historic Blenheim House was constructed in 1859, shortly after another home on that same property had burned down. During the United States Civil War both the Confederacy and the Union occupies the home.
The Blenheim House is one of the multiple locations where soldiers drew art on the walls and is party of the “Civil War Graffiti Trails”. A replica of the Union Solider graffiti art, in the ceiling of the Blenheim House, is in the visitors center.
On October 6, 2020 author Philip Andrew Hamilton got to meet one of the members of a citizen committee who helped convince the City of Fairfax to preserve the Blenheim House as a historical home, rather than converting it to a nursing home.
The home of former Confederate General Thomas Johnathan “Stonewall” Jackson was built in Lexington, Virginia.
The Lava Beds National Monument is the site of various Native American Petroglyhs, which were carved into rocks in Modoc County, California over 4,000 years ago.
The childhood home of actress ZaSu Pitts is in downtown Santa Cruz, City California, near the courthouse on Ocean Street that President Theodore Roosevelt once spoke at.
ZaSu Pitts started in various silent films including, “Greed”.
Philip Andrew Hamilton visited the home on June 6, 2020.
In the late 1700s, the last of the “Bear and Bull Fights” occurred in the California providence of Mexico.
The Tracy Historical Museum was established in the 1970s after the Tracy Historical Society merger with the the Western Pioneers Historical organization.
On September 8, 1878, Tracy, California was founded as a railroad town at a track crossing called a “Bow Tie”. Jim Eagan, a railroader who worked at the Ellis stop before it was moved to the Tracy Hub, is beloved the new the first resident of Tracy. The town would be named after the Ohio grain merchant Lathrop J. Tracy. In 1910, Tracy was incorporated as a city.
The Calaveras County Musuem & Historical Society is located at the former courthouse of San Andreas, California.
In 1848, the town of San Andreas, California was named after the Catholic Saint Andreas and settled by Mexicans. Gold had been discovered, but the mining venture of surface gold was only for a short period of time.
In 1866, San Andreas became the county seat of Calaveras County. The town is still the seat of the county in present day.
The Sierra County Sheriff’s Gallows was only utilized for one hanging.
A historic train maintenance yard within Jamestown, California was established as the Railtown 1897 State Historic Park.
In 1848, the first gold discovery in Tuolumne County was made at Woods Crossing. The town of Jamestown, California was soon founded near Woods Crossing.
On May 1, 1851, Sonora, California was incorporated as a town within Tuolumne County.
In 1854, Tuolumne City, California was founded by Gold Rush pioneers. Tuolumne is a Native American word for “Follow Me”.
The Iron Door Saloon, which was established in 1852 in the town of Groveland, is California’s oldest continually operating saloon.
The saloon has a mural at the front facade of the building along with a historical marker.
The site of the town “Slab City” is located on the former Durlap Army Camp that was utilized as a training facility for soldiers during World War II. After the Army removed the buildings, concrete slabs remained and many homeless from the railroad intersection nearby moved to live there. Over the decades, the town has had art installations, such as “Salvation Mountain”, added to the residents built there.
In 1836, the Sonoma Barracks was ordered to be constructed by General H.G. Vallejo.
Ten years later, the barracks were utilized as the headquarters of the Bear Flag Revolt.
Membership to the “clothing optional” Lupin Lodge Naturalist Club began in Los Gatos, California in the 1920s.
In 1878, the first ever “Motion Pictures Experiment” was conducted at the Palo Alto Stock Farm in Stanford, California.
The Hermosa Beach Musuem consist of the local history of the Hermosa Beach area.
The musuem hosts a replica of the surfboard that “The Beach Boys” used while vacationing on the California Coast.
The punk rock group Pennywise, and other punk rock bands, have roots in Hermosa Beach.
The S.S. Lane Victory was built in 1945, in Los Angelos County, California before the surrender of Germany. The ship would later serve in the Korean War and the Vietnam War.
The S.S. Lane Victory is currently stationed in San Pedro, California.
From 1936 to 1945 USS Potomac served President Franklin Roosevelt During his various trips within the seas and the oceans in the United States.
After Franklin Roosevelt’s passing, singer Elvis Presley owned the vessel.
The Pyramid Lake Museum is located next to the largest desert lake in the world within the Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation.
The museum exhibits a Paiute Native American story about how the Pyramid Lake formed.
The museum has various photographs of the geography of the lake itself.
The Pyramid Lake Wars forced the Paiute Natives into reservations after they lost the Second Battle of Pyramid Lake.
Hundreds of natives had died while moving to reservations in Oregon and Washington during the wintertime.
In addition, the museum has an exhibit on the Ranch Rock festivals that occurred on Pyramid Lake in the 1980s and the Burning Man festival, after it moved from Baker Beach, California to Nevada.
The Alkatraz Island is a former federal U.S. Army facility and federal prison that was occupied by Native Americans for two years in protest of the federal government violating tribal treaties.
On January 18, 1909, Eugene Ely landed a biplane on the U.S.S. Pennslyvania (BB-38) for the first time in aviation history in Vallejo, California.
In 1908, the grand Los Gatos High School was constructed after being designed by William Henry Meeks.
Castle Rock State Park is a Park off of Skyline Boulevard, also known as Highway 35, which is near Mount McPherson and Sanborn County Park.
In 1880, Camp Felton was founded. Over time the original camp location has changed to a Felton Grove Auto Camp In 1922, to the Felton Grove Resort In 1937.
In 1914, the current Santa Cruz Wharf was constructed. The city has three wharfs in the 1880s which fell into disuse over the decades.
On July 17, 2007, the Donner-Houghton house caught fire and burnt down.
The Donner Lofts Apartments were built on the site of the former Donner-Houghton house. Currently, historical markers from History San Jose mark the history of the home that once stood there.
In 1849, the California State delegation in Monterey, where the former Mexican capital of California was, established the city of San José as the first capital of the state of California. After he capital was moved to Vallejo, Benicia and to Sacramento the former San José Capital Building was abandoned and eventually demolished.
In 1923, the Native Sons of the Golden West placed a plaque in a park where the capital building once stood.
The State Capital Building in Benicia is the only former state capital building that presently exists.
In 1846, the Zepeda Adobe of El Pueblo de San José was constructed.
Documentaries of U.S. Civil War Veterans were filmed in the 1920s and the 1930s, as new reporters and historians took an interest in recording the stories of the last surviving veterans.
A reunion of Confederate and Union soldiers was held fifty years after the Battle of Gettysburg.
Texas, an area involved in the Mexican War for Independent From 1810 to 1821, the Texan Independence Movement from Mexico in 1836, which allowed the Providence to become its own country, and a mere sixteen years after becoming a state, decided to revolt again by seceding from the United States on Febuary 1, 1861.
Texas joined the Confederate States on March 2, 1861, after it replaced its governor, San Houston, who wanted to remain with the union and refused to take an oath of allegiance to the Confederacy.
The area of Lafayette, Louisiana was originally inhabited by Atakapa-Ishak Tribes and the competing Choctaw Tribes. In addition, the Chitimacha and Opelousa Tribes lived in the surrounding areas. In the 1700s, catholic French settlers began to inhabit the area.
In 1811, Vicksburg, Mississippi was founded inside of the Mississippi Territory. On January 29, 1825, after Mississippi became a state, Vicksburg was incorporated as a town.
The Mississippi Territory lasted from 1798 to 1817, and was a turbulent set of times for European settlers living there.
“The Peace Be Still” statue was erected in Birmingham, Alabama to honor the Palm Sunday March held by Rev. N. H. Smith, Rev. John T. Porter, and Rev. A. D. King to support Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth and Rev. Ralph Abernathy when they were jailed for protesting segregation in Birmingham. The pastors led the march from St. Paul United Methodist Church down to 6th Avenue North.
On March 16, 1751, President James Madison was born at the Belle Grove Plantation in a set of lands that would later come part of the town of Port Conway, Virginia.
James Madison’s mother Eleanor Rose Conway Madison, whom also went by Nellie Conway Madison, was also born at the Belle Grove Plantation.
Presently, there is a historical marker indicating the birthplace of James Madison, near the Belle Grove Plantation.
In 1789, Alexandria and a portion of Fairfax County were ceded by the State of Virginia to become a part of the new 10 mile square District of Columbia. Formally accepted by Congress in 1801, Alexandria remained under the aegis of the new federal government until it was retroceded to Virginia in 1847. Currently, the city of Alexandria is under the jurisdiction of Fairfax, County.
In 2005, the United States Trademark and Patent Office moved their headquarters to Alexandria, Virignia. Soon after, in 2017, the National Science Foundation also moved their headquarters to Alexandria.
The United States Supreme Court in the case, United States v. Virginia, 518 U.S. 515 (1996), struck down the Virignia Military Institute’s “Male Only” admission policy.
I’m 1781, during the American Revolutionary War, Lafayette marked from the town of Elk, Maryland to the city of Richmond, Virignia. On April 27th Lafayette camped in New Hope Virignia.
In present day there is a historical marker, in front of the Bowling Green, Virginia Courthouse, that was built in 1830, which shows were Lafayette once camped.
On April 28, 2018, the date of President James Monroe’s birthday, decedents of the Monroe family met at the Monroe Musuem in Fredericksburg, Virginia. The Monroe Musuem was opened by Rose Gouverneur Hoes, the great granddaughter of President Monroe, and her son Laurence Hoes, to store artifacts relating to the former President.
The Richmond Times Dispatch has more information relating to the President Monroe descendants reunion.
The Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church is a historical structure in Norfolk, Virginia.
Colonial Virginia hosted arcane jails with no floors. Inmates who slept in mud were susceptible to multiple diseases, hence many of the prisoners died during their internment.
In 2011, Philip Hamilton visited the colonial jail buildings in Williamsburg, Virginia.
In 1929, Mount Vernon Place was established when John Eager Howard’s son Charles Howard built a house. In subsequent years, Mount Vernon Place had a multitude of additional structures built by the beaux-arts architectural firm of Carrere & Hastings, who also designed the New York Public Library, in the 19th century.
The Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church is a grande gothic style church that was built in the 1800s.
In present day, Mount Vernon Place hosts some of the best preserved 19th century structures in the east coast, including the original Washington Monument.
The Washington Monument at Mount Vernon Place, in Baltimore, is the oldest monument to President George Washington in the United States.
At the entrance of the Washington Monument is a historical marker.
Inside of the Washington Monument are various artifacts.
I had to walk over 200 steps to get to the top of the Washington Monument. Unlike the larger Washington Monument in Washington D.C., the monument in Baltimore does not have an elevator.