The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad constructed a freight station in Ellicott Mills, Maryland, which later became known as Ellicott City, in the year 1830. This station was part of the first thirteen miles of commercial railroad ever built in the United States. In the 1850s, the facility transported both freight and passengers. During the U.S. Civil War the facility was essential in transporting supplies and Union Army troops.
The Baltimore & Ohio Train Station transported passengers until December 31, 1949 and freight until the 1970s.
In present day the station serves as the B & O Railroad Station Museum with U.S. Civil War exhibits such as, “The War Came By Train”. The musuem has eight cars and locomotives that had utilized during the war.
Daniel Toomey’s book, “The War Came by Train: The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad During the Civil War” explains how the Ellicott City station was instrumental in the protection of the United States Capital during the U.S. Civil War.