New York City, President Stephen Grover Cleveland

October 26, 1886 – The Statue Of Liberty Was Dedicated

On October 26, 1886, the Statue of Liberty was dedicated in the New York Harbor by President Stephen Grover Cleveland, the first Democratic Party President to be elected to the White House after the United States Civil War. The statue, which was given to the United States as a gift from France, was originally called, “Liberty Enlightening the World”.

The statue was originally bronze, and due to the oxidation of the bronze, the statue has taken on a green color over the decades.