Alabama, Governor George Corley Wallace, Junior, Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce, Mobile, Alabama

The U.S.S. Alabama (BB-60) – Sent To Protect A Soviet Union Fleet During World War II

On February 1, 1940, construction of the U.S.S. Alabama (BB-60) began, during anticipation of the United States being directly involved with military actions during World War II.

On February 16, 1942, the U.S.S. Alabama was was commissioned and placed into a fleet of training marines.

Ariel view of the U.S.S. Alabama (BB-60) with the U.S.S. Drumm (SS-228).

The U.S.S. Alabama was spring into action protecting the Soviet fleet from German attacks. The U.S.S. Alabama was the only ship, during World War II, to receive honors from the Soviet Union for the protection of Russians.

In the 1962, Jimmie Morris, an employee of the Tourist & Visitors Department of the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce, noticed a story about the scrapping of the South Dakota class of American battleships in the Mobile Register newspaper. Therefore, the U.S. Navy was planning to scrap the South Dakota (BB-57), Indiana (BB-58), Massachusetts (BB-59), and the Alabama (BB-60) battleships. Stephens Croom, then chairman of the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce’s Committee for Preservation of Historic Landmarks, agreed with Jimmie Morris that the U.S.S. Alabama should be preserved and began a lobbying effort to transfer the title of the battleship from the U.S. Navy to the state of Alabama.

Photograph of John Malcom Patterson.

Alabama Governor John Patterson agreed with the Committee for the Preservation of Landmarks and had a commission to establish the feasibility of bringing the U.S.S. Alabama to the shores of the state.

Photograph of Governor George Corley Wallace, Junior.

In 1963, the commission reported that the transfer was feasible to the newly elected Governor George Corley Wallace, Junior. In a speech to representatives in 22 Alabama counties, Governor George Corley Wallace, Junior stated to them, “Bring the Alabama home”. The U.S. Navy agreed to transfer the title of the U.S.S. Alabama to Alabama and the battleship become part of the U.S.S. Alabama Battleship Memorial Park in Mobile, Alabama.

Mardi Gras, Mobile, Alabama

Mobile, Alabama – The Site Of The First Mardi Gras Celebrations

In 1703, the first Mardi Gras celebrations in the United States began in the “New France Colony”, in present day Mobile, Alabama. The French brought Catholics to the colony which started the Mardi Gras celebration. The celebration ended for a few years, for unknown reasons. After the Civil War, Joe Cain, a citizen of Mobile got fed up with post-Civil War misery and started an impromptu parade down the streets.

In present day, Mardi Gras is celebrated in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Mobile, Alabama, New Orleans, Louisana, and other southern cities.

Battle Of Fort Charlotte, Mobile, Alabama, Siege Of Pensacola, Spanish General Don Bernardo de Gálvez

The Battle Of Fort Charlotte And The Siege Of Pensacola

On June 1779, during the American Revolutionary War, the Spanish government declared war against Britain and established an alliance with the United States. At the time the British possessed Fort Charlotte, which was originally built by the French in 1732 and taken over by the British During the French and Indian War.

The Spanish Military launched a land and naval attack, known as the Battle of Fort Charlotte, against the British forces. March 13, 1780 the Battle of Fort Charlotte ended.

Painting of General Don Bernardo de Gálvez.

On March 9, 1781, the Spanish navy, under the command of General Don Bernardo de Gálvez, began the Siege of Pensacola. General Don Bernardo de Gálvez launched another attack on Fort Charlotte and drove the British out of the area. General Don Bernardo de Gálvez utilized the fort as the planning grounds for the rest of the siege that lasted until May 10, 1781.

Fort Condé de la Mobile, Fort Louis de la Mobile, Mobile, Alabama

The Establishment Of “Fort Louis de la Mobile” By The French Government

In 1702, French explorer Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville founded the area of Mobile, Alabama. In 1711, the French built “Fort Louis de la Mobile” to protect the settlement of La Mobile, which was the capital, at the time, of French Louisiana and part of the “New France” colony in present day Alabama.

The fort was renamed, by the French, to Fort Condé de la Mobile, in 1717. In 1763, the British took over Fort Condé and renamed the military post to Fort Charlotte.

La Mobile, Mobile, Alabama, Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville

Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville Founded The La Mobile Settlement As Part Of The “New France” Colony

In 1702, the settlement of La Mobile, presently the city of Mobile, is the oldest city in the present day state of Alabama, was founded by the Canadian born French explorer Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville.

La Mobile, now known as Old Mobile, served as the capital of the French settlements from 1702 to 1711. The French constructed Fort Louis de La Louisiane, later renamed to Fort Condé, in 1711 to guard the site of the settlement and former capital of French Louisiana. However, after the French and Indian War the British gained control of Fort Condé and Mobile became part of the British Western Florida Territory.