The history of the Ford House Museum started in 1854, when the home was built for Jerome Bursley Ford and his wife. Ford was the founder of the Mendocino Lumber Company and needed a home closeby to his operations. At the time, lumber was a huge source of income for many Mendocino residents, during the early years of California’s statehood.
In 1852, Meiggsville, California was founded by the New Englander Meiggs. During the gold rush, thousands of redwood loggers moved to the coastal towns and created flumes to transport the giant logs. Eventually the town was renamed to Mendocino.