During the First Battle of Manassas, Confederate soldiers utilized telescopes to observe Union troop movements. At Signal Hill, within Manassas, Virginia, the Wigflag Signal System was utilized for the first time by Confederate soldiers.
In 1852, Manassas Junction, also known Mannassas Gap, was established as a railroad stop between Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia. The name Mannassas may of been taken from Manasseh, a Jewish innkeeper At Manassas Junction. Eventually, the railroad junction developed into a town known as Manassas, Virginia.