Armand Joseph Dehay, Cloverdale, California, Icaria Speranza, Jules Auguste Leroux

The French Beginnings Of Cloverdale, California

In 1859, the town of Cloverdale was established in Northern California, within Sonoma County. On Febuary 28, 1872, Cloverdale was incorporated as a town.

Portrait of Frenchman Jules Auguste Leroux in 1910.

In 1881, Jules Auguste Leroux and Armand Joseph Dehay established a colony south of Cloverdale named “Icaria Speranza”, based on the French Utopian movement, the Icarians. The settlement ended in 1886 and today, there is a marker south of town where the schoolhouse was located.