Arlington County, Virginia, Fairfax County, Virginia, Fairfax, Virginia, James Madison High School, President George Walker Bush, The Pentagon

Reinforcement Of “The Pentagon” – After The September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attacks

In the 1940s, when the construction of the Pentagon was complete, it became the largest low rise building in the world. When Al-Quedea crashed a plane into the Pentagon, it created substantial damage from the blast and the fires, but only part of the building was destroyed, unlike the World Trade Center buildings which were completely destroyed.

U.S. Air Force photo taken by Tech. Sergeant Cedric H. Rudisill.

National Achieves Photograph of President George Walker Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, and their executive staff in the “Situation Room”.
U.S. Navy photo taken by Petty Officer 1st Class Michael Pendergrass.

Due to the the attacks on the World Trade Center In 1993, Murray Building in 1995, and the Pentagon and the World Trade Center In 2001, architects have established ways to reinforce buildings with ultra-high-performance fiber-reinforced concrete. The Pentagon was redone with reinforcements, in the event an enemy of the United States plans to execute a plane, missile or other type of attack against the building in the future.

Author’s Note:

Author Philip Andrew Hamilton, was in English class at James Madison High School, when he first witnessed the footage of the World Trade Towers struck by two airplanes. The administration of James Madison High School, and several other schools within Fairfax County, Virginia, decided to end the school day early due to their proximity to the Pentagon in bordering Arlington County.

James Madison, James Madison High School

James Madison High School – Named After Fourth U.S. President James Madison

In 1959, James Madison High School, which is named after James Madison, the fourth U.S. President from Orange County, Virginia, was open to students.

Portrait of James Madison, Fourth President of the United States of America.

As a junior at James Madison High School, the author Philip Andrew Hamilton, took an Advanced Placement United States History Class, with history teacher Mr. McGuire whom greatly stoked the author’s interest in that subject. McGuire had Philip do a World War II history project on October 25, 2003 where he got to interview the Mr. and Mrs. Roeschke, a German civilian couple who lived in the seaport of Bremen, Germany, as children, as it was ruthlessly bombed by the British Royal Air Force. The couple described seeing people “burning like candles” after leaving the bomb shelters. This project brought history “to life” and created Philip’s lifelong interest in the subject.

Frederick County, Virginia, General Stonewall Jackson, James Madison High School, The First Battle of Winchester, The Second Battle of Winchester

The First And Second Battle Of Winchester

The First Battle of Winchester, fought on May 25, 1862, in and around Frederick County, Virginia, and in Winchester, Virginia. This battle was a major victory in Confederate Army Major General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s Campaign through the Shenandoah Valley during the American Civil War.

The Second Battle of Winchester was fought between June 13 and June 15, 1863 in Frederick County and Winchester, Virginia as part of the Gettysburg Campaign during the American Civil War.

Author’s Note:

In 2003, while he was a James Madison High School student, author Philip Hamilton participated in a Civil War re-enactment at the Winchester Battlefield Park.

Allentown, Pennslyvania, James Madison High School, John Jacob Mickley, Philip Andrew Hamilton, The Liberty Bell

The Liberty Bell

The Liberty Bell, also known as the State House Bell, has the message, “Proclaim Liberty Throughout All the Land Unto All the Inhabitants thereof” inscribed on it.

The Liberty Bell held symbolic meaning to the American people and when the British invaded parts of Pennslyvania the Liberty Bell, along with ten other bells within the city, was removed from Independence Hall by John Jacob Mickley on September 1777 to save them from destruction.

The bell was secretly transferred, via wagon, through the British army encampments in Bethlehem and was stored at the Zion’s Reformed Church in Allentown, Pennslyvania. Eventually, the bell was brought back to Independence Hall.

Presently, the Liberty Bell is park of the Independence Hall U.S. National Historic Park and is surrounded by a glass chamber.

Author’s Note:

In 2003, during Philip Andrew Hamilton’s trip with his Advanced Placement History class, at James Madison High School, he visited Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.