Before 1724, the Pohick Church was established as the first permanent church of northern Virginia. During the early years of the church, Augustine Washington and Mary Ball Washington, the parents of George Washington, attended church services.
In 1774, the Pohick Church was relocated to a new location, in a brick building that currently stands in Lorton, Virginia.
In present day, along the church grounds, lie the remains of veterans of the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. In addition, John West, a signer of the Fairfax Resolves, is buried on the church grounds.
Inside of the main church building is a flag that is dedicated to the 1774 Pohick Church, George Mason and George Washington.