Fort Condé de la Mobile, Fort Louis de la Mobile, Mobile, Alabama

The Establishment Of Fort Louis de la Mobile By The French Government

In 1711, the French built Fort Louis de la Mobile to protect the settlement of La Mobile, which was the capital, at the time, of French Louisiana and part of the “New France” colony in present day Alabama.

The fort was renamed, by the French, to Fort Condé de la Mobile, in 1717. In 1763, the British took over Fort Condé and renamed the military post to Fort Charlotte.