Colma, California

The Colma Historical Museum

In 1910, the Colma Historical Museum, formerly known as the Lawndale Historical Museum, was established.

In 1912, San Francisco Mayor James “Sunny Jim” Rolph, placed an order to remove bodies from most of the San Francisco Cemeteries to Lawndale, California.

James Rolph during his inauguration as California Governor.

Mayor Rolph cited that vandalism was frequent at the San Francisco cemeteries and he cited various health reasons for the move.

The Holy Cross Mausoleum is one of several mausoleums established in Colma after the mass removal of graves in San Francisco.

The museum hosts structures such as the former Colma Train Station.

Colma, California

The Founding Of Colma, California

A Spanish solider named Fortun Jones, in addition to twenty of his men, were the first European men to reach California in 1533. Lawndale, California was settled by United States citizens during the gold rush era.

Mattrup Jensen, who began to work for Cypress Lawn Cemetery in 1902 and developed a 1,500,000 gallon reactor and pipelines for the cemetery, began to make the cemetery business more prominent in Lawndale.

In 1904 he worked as a superintendent and engineer for Mount Olivet -and was so successful in administration that he became known as the “Father of Lawndale”. In 1924, Lawndale was incorporated as the city of Colma, California.