Appomattox, Virginia, Clover Hill, Virginia

The Founding Of Appomattox, Virginia

On May 1, 1845, Buckingham, Prince Edward, Charlotte, and Campbell Counties each surrendered portions of their territory to form Appomattox County, Virginia. The name of the county is derived from the Appomattox River that flows through that region.

The village of Clover Hill, located in the center of the new county along the Richmond-Lynchburg Stage Road, was renamed Appomattox Court House and became the seat of government. Clover Hill was originally settled around 1815 with the construction of the Clover Hill Tavern, across from which the brick courthouse building for the new county was built.