On January 2, 1847, the Battle of the Mustard Stalks, more commonly known as the Battle of Santa Clara, began on a mustard field near Mission Santa Clara de Asís. The battle continued until February 7th and was the only battle of the Mexican-American War in northern California.
On February 8th, 1847, an armistice between Mexican forces, led by Francisco Sanchez, and the Americans was signed by an Oak tree. The Mexican revolt was the last of its kind in Northern California until California became a state in 1850.
In present day, historical markers indicate a site of the battle and of the armistice, by the Santa Clara City Hall.
The original historical marker for the armistice was moved when the El Camino Real Road was modified.