The Huntley Historic Site contains the former home of Thomson Francis Mason, a grandson of George Mason IV, and various other buildings associated with the former plantation. On December 21st, 1838, Thomson Francis Mason passed away and was buried at Christ Church Episcopal Cemetery in Alexandria City, Virginia.
After Thomas Francis Mason’s death, his widowed wife Elizabeth “Betsy” C. wife carried on an effort to preserve President George Washington’s home Mount Vernon.
Doctor Wernher von Braun, whom was a former Nazi V-1 and V-2 rocket scientist who was brought to the United States via the Central Intelligence Agency’s classified Operation Paperclip program, was made the Director of a team of 5,500 employees working on the Saturn V Rocket and other NASA projects. The Deputy Director for Research and Development and the Deputy Director of Administration reported directly to former George C. Marshall Flight Center Director Wernher von Braun.
Fort Ward, was named after Commander James Harmon Ward, whom became the first Union naval officer to die in the U.S. Civil War at the Battle of Mathias in King George County, Virginia. Fort Ward was constructed, within the Union occupied Alexandria County, Virginia, as the fifth largest fort protecting Washington D.C. during the course of the U.S. Civil War.
Fort Ward was one of the 163 forts that were part of the defense of Washington, D.C. from Confederate army attacks.
On April 17, 1861, the Virginia legislature produced the ordinance of succession. On May 23, 1861, Virginians approved the measure for succession and the morning after the move union troops came from Washington, D.C. to occupy the town of Alexandria, Virginia, in order to create a buffer zone between the United States Capital and the Confederate Army. The Union occupied the City of Alexandria longer than any other Confederate city during the war.
In addition. Alexandria was the site of the first casualties in the war after the fall of Fort Sumter. The consistent occupation of Alexandria by the Union Army soared the city of the destruction other cities in Virginia, such as Petersburg and Richmond endures.
In 1812, Robert Edward Lee’s father Henry Lee decided to move his family to a home in Alexandria, Virginia, that President George Washington once dined in while it was the home of William Fitzhugh. Robert Edward Lee stayed at the home until 1825, when he left for Westpoint.
Five years after the end of the Civil War, Robert Edward Lee returned to visit his childhood home.
On October 21, 1669, Virginia Governor Sir William Berkley granted English ship Captain Robert Howson six thousand acres of land which would eventually become the town of Alexandria, Virginia. Presently, Alexandria, Virginia is part of Fairfax County.
After George Washington joined the FreeMason Fraternal Order he became members of the Fredericksburg, Virginia and the Alexandria-Washington lodges.
On June 5, 1922, the cornerstone of the George Washington Masonic National Memorial was established. The memorial was built to honor the time that President George Washington spent at the Fredericksburg and Alexandria lodges. President Calvin Coolidge and former President William H. Taft, performed the cornerstone ceremonies in front of thousands of Freemasons.
Presently the temple hosts hundreds of artifacts in relation to former President George Washington. The top tower has stained glass windows and a suit of armor.
There are two additional George Washington Monuments, in the D.C. Metro Area. The first noumena was built in Baltimore and the other wine was built by the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
In 1754 George Washington moved into Mount Vernon Mansion with his wife Martha. The mansion sat within a plantation where Washington owned hundreds of slaves. George Washington lived at the mansion until his death on December 14, 1799.