BLM, Bureau of Land Management, Centerville Beach, California

March 1958 – The U.S. Navy Opened A Sound Surveillance System In Centerville Beach, California

On March 1958, the U.S. Navy established a Sound Surveillance System (SOSUS) on Centerville Beach, California to conduct underwater surveillance of Soviet submarines during the Cold War. Similar stations were also established at Point Sur, California and at Coos Bay, Oregon.

At the Centerville Beach station’s peak, over 300 military personnel were stationed on the beach. However in 1992, the station endured three earthquakes, since it was near a fault line, and its continued use was reconsidered. In 1992, the station at NOPF Whidbey Island was re-terminated and on September 30, 1993, the NAVFAC station was decommissioned. Soon after Centerville Beach was transferred to the Bureau of Land Management and converted into public use.

Ferndale, California

The Founding Of Ferndale, California

In 1852, Seth and Stephen Shaw traveled through the Eel River to a small creek within the redwood forest in the northern end of the Lost Coast and south of Eureka. There the brothers established two land claims and built a cabin. Stephen eventually sold his claim and Seth built the Shaw House, which is presently the Shaw House Bed and Breakfast. After building a home, Seth called the new town Fern Dale, California, later referred to as Ferndale.

A creamery at Ferndale, California in the 1800s.

The town had a series of Victorian style homes called “Butterfat Palaces”, similar to the ones in San Francisco, built in the downtown area.

Downtown Ferndale, California in the 1800s.

The prosperity of the dairy farmers in Ferndale financed the construction of the various Victorian homes. Presently, Ferndale is referred to as “the Victorian Village”.

Falk, California

The Rise And Fall Of Falk, California

Falk, California was founded by several redwood loggers.

The redwood logging train, the Gypsy train, had been used by the loggers.

An elderly couple lived along the former town of Falk. In 1978, many of the wooden buildings from the former town were razed.

Presently, there is a Elk River Trailhead and Old Town Falk trial, within the Headwaters Forest Reserve, that leads to the former site of the town.

A former engine house was relocated along the trial site.

Eureka, California

The Expulsion Of The Chinese Population In Eureka, California In 1885

On February 6, 1885, a Eureka City Council member was shot and killed during a gunfight between two rival Chinese gangs.

As a result of the gangfight, a mob of citizens from Eureka forced the Chinese in Chinatown onto two boats. As a result of the mob action, all of the Chinese were forced out of the city.

Author’s Note:

The “Chinese Expulsion of Eureka” is featured in the Clarke Historical Musuem.