From 1861 to 1865, the Chimborazo Confederate Hospital treated over 78,000 patients through the course of the the “War Between The States”. Sally Tompkins, the only woman to receive a military commission from the Confederate government, was assigned to work at Chimborazo hospital.
After the end of the war, most of the original hospital buildings were destroyed. In 1959, what remained of the Chimborazo Hospital, became part of the Richmond National Battlefield Park. The Chimborazo Medicial Museum was established in a building that was built in the early 1900s, on a hill where the former military hospital was established.