William Wing Loring lead a march to California, was a General in the United States Civil War, and served in the Egyptian military from 1869 to 1879. After dying in New York, William Wing Loring’s body was cremated and buried in Saint Augustine, Florida. In 1920, the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected a memorial to William Wing Loring, on 48 King Street, Saint Augustine, Florida and reinterred his remains below that monument.
A mere ten days after author Philip Andrew Hamilton visited the William Wing Loring Memorial, the University of Florida had the monument, which had been in place for over 100 years, removed to private land and the body of William Wing Loring relocated for a second time after his passing. The UF Foundation, the fundraising wing of the University of Florida, paid over $200,000 for the removal of the monument from King Street.