Mokelumne, California was founded when the Central Pacific Railroad chose the site for a station on its new route. The town consisted of a store/post office building, a hotel, and the station. In the spring of 1870, people from neighboring towns moved to Mokelumne until, by October, there were 56 residences. Eventually, Mokelumne was renamed to the shorter name of Lodi. Downtown Lodi has what is called the “Lodi Arch”.