In 1910, the Colma Historical Museum, formerly known as the Lawndale Historical Museum, was established.
In 1912, San Francisco Mayor James “Sunny Jim” Rolph, placed an order to remove bodies from most of the San Francisco Cemeteries to Lawndale, California.
Mayor Rolph cited that vandalism was frequent at the San Francisco cemeteries and he cited various health reasons for the move.
The Holy Cross Mausoleum is one of several mausoleums established in Colma after the mass removal of graves in San Francisco.
The museum hosts structures such as the former Colma Train Station.