On July 17, 1994, fifty years after 320 men were killed by the largest domestic disaster of World War II, Port Chicago was established as a U.S. National Park.
The park serves as a memorial to the many servicemen that died within one of the largest non-nuclear explosions within the United States.
Within the Port Chicago National Park, is a piece of a destroyed ship from the explosion that occurred within the area.
A boxcar built in July 1945, after the Port Chicago explosion, is within a former V shaped munitions storage area, called a revetment.
In present day, the park is within a military base which transports bombs overseas. No visitors are allowed when bombs are being transported on site.