In 1839, the Roberto-Suñol Adobe was built by Native American Roberto Balermino in present day Santa Clara County. In 1847, Antonio Suñol built the brick Suñol House adjoining the adobe. Suñol owned San José’s first store; he was the alcalde (mayor), sindico (city attorney), sub-prefect (assistant governor), and the first postmaster of San José.
In August 2016, the Roberto-Suñol Adobe opened as a museum. Currently, the California Pioneers of Santa Clara own the Roberto-Suñol Adobe and it’s surrounding grounds.