Fort McAllister, in Bryan County, Georgia, was a Confederate owned fort that was the site of the First and Second Battle of Fort McAllister. On December 13, 1864, after the Union force of 4,000 men launched the Second Battle of Fort McAllister, against a Confederate force of 230 men. The Union Army took over the fort in a mere 15 minutes. At that point, General William Sherman had his army take refuge there and ended the continuous 37 week march through the south.
Currently, the former fort is now part of Fort McAllister State Park.