In 1747, the Town of Winchester, named after Winchester, England, is founded by Colonel James Wood after he revived a grant from Lord Fairfax. In 1748, George Washington, at the age of 16, makes his first trip to Winchester, as a land surveyor, while surveying lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. A site in Winchester becomes Washington’s headquarters for land surveying. In 1752, Town of Winchester is charted by the Virginia House of Burgesses. George Washington’s establishes a headquarters in Winchester again when he commanded Virginia troops during the French and Indian War.
In present day, the original town of Winchester is called, “Old Town Winchester”.