In 1953, the King and Queen County Historical Society was founded and was eventually re-located to the site of the Old Clerk’s Office; which was rebuilt in 1866 after the original building was burnt down as retaliation of the killing of Union Colonel Ulric Dahlgren. In 1912, a Confederate Monument was erected to confederate soldiers and sailors of King and Queen County in front of the Old Clerk’s Office. Later, in 1957, the Clerk’s Office was moved to the inside of the King and Queen Courthouse, after an office was added inside. Years after, the King and Queen Historical Society began to store records inside the Old Clerk’s Office.
The former clerk’s office, the Historic Courthouse Tavern Musuem and a former schoolhouse archieve historical records for King and Queen County, Virginia.