In 1835, a courthouse was built in Bowling Green, Virginia. Two years later, the area of Bowling Green was incorporated as a town.
In the lawn of the Bowling Green Courthouse is a historical marker indicating that Lafayette once camped in Bowling Green during the Revolutionary War.
Another historical marker reveals that on May 21, 1864 union troops under General Winfield Scott Hancock’s command had occupied the Bowling Green courthouse during the U.S. Civil War. During that time, the troops freed the men held in the local jail and ransacked local stores for supplies.
In addition, a Confederate Monument, one of about two hundred such monuments in the state of Virginia, was dedicated to the soldiers who died in the U.S. Civil War at the courthouse lawn.