In 1732, the same year the first U.S. President George Washington was born, Independence Hall was constructed in downtown Philadelphia. Independence Hall was commissioned to be the Pennsylvania state house and served as the judicial, legislative and the executive branches of that colony’s government.
In the 1700s, Independence Hall generally served as a meeting place for politicians in a city that was growing to become becoming the largest city in the thirteen colonies.
During the course of the Revolutionary War the U.S. Declaration of Independence was debated and signed in Independence Hall and after the end of the war the U.S. Constitution was debated during the Constitutional Convention of 1787 and signed within the same building. In addition, Independence Hall served as the meeting place of the Second Continental Congress from 1775 to 1783.
On June 28, 1948 the U.S. Congress granted the U.S. National Park Service ownership of Independence Hall after designating the building as a U.S. National Park. On October 15, 1966 the square mile around Independence Hall was designated as a U.S. National Historic Landmark District.
This is the U.S. National Park Service’s list of the multitude of historical landmarks and statues around Independence Hall.