In 1824, Nicholas Snowden established a grist flour mill factory in the present day area of Laurel, Maryland.
The factory turned into a cotton merchant mill producing company that employed more than seven hundred workers. Formerly, the lands in that area place were called “Laurel Factory”, in honor of its position as a milling town.
On April 4, 1870, Governor Oden Bowie signed a bill designating the area of Laurel Factory, Maryland as an incorporated town. On June 14th, 1875 the town name was shortened to ‘Laurel.’