The Dodson House was built in the 1860s by Richard Stearns Dodson, a business man who was the manager of the Fountain Hotel in Baltimore Maryland, the Herdic House Hotel in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, and the Atlantic Hotel in Norfolk, Virginia. Over time, Dodson amassed enough income to purchase the Atlantic Hotel. Richard’s son became a Maryland State Senator. Richards Stearns Dodson was buried in the Greenmount Cemetery in Baltimore, Maryland after his passing in 1897.
In present day the Dodson House, in addition to the Higgins and Eagle Houses, are owned by the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.
The Dodson House was renovated in 2000s and the 2010s due to the erosion of the bricks laid on the exterior of the house. New bricks were placed that are baked with a higher temperature.
The author Philip Hamilton is friends with Philip Meade Dodson, a resident of Arlington, Virginia, who’s relative used to own the Dodson House.