Construction for the Maryland State House building began on March 28, 1772, after the cornerstone was laid by Governor Robert Eden, and was not completed until 1797 due to the resources and manpower dedicated to fighting the American Revolution. From November 26, 1783 to August 13, 1784 the Continental Congress met at the Old Senate Chamber. While the Continental Congress convened in Maryland George Washington surrender his commission as Commander-In-Chief of the Continental Army.
Presently, the Maryland State House is the oldest legislative building in the United States in continuous government use.
The Maryland State Building is the only state capital building, in current use, that has previously served as the United States Capital building.