The Folsom History Musuem has exhibits on the pioneers of the city, including the gravestone of U.S. Army Captain Joseph Libby Folsom, the man whom the former Granite City is named after. The gravestone was originally in Lauren Hill Cemetery in San Francisco, but was moved to Colma in 1940 after the cemetery was abandoned. After the gravestone was relocated again to Santa Clara, it was brought back to Folsom.
Captain Joseph Libby Folsom moved to San Francisco during the Mexican American War. In 1848, Folsom bought a piece of land within Granite City. Granite City’s name was changed to Folsom shortly after Captain Folsom’s death in 1855.