The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is a Spanish style structure that was built in 1929 to replace another courthouse that was destroyed by an earthquake in 1925.
The “Spirit of the Ocean Fountain” is a sculpture that was created in 1972, and it rests on the outside walls of the courthouse.
The walls of the building show Spanish style decor and inscriptions such as “Reason is he life of the law”.
Inside the courthouse is a room with a mural dedicated to the native Americans and the Spaniards who once lived in California.
With all of the Santa Barbara’s artistic magnificence; the U.S. Congress designated the structure as a National Historic Landmark.
The Santa Barbara History Museum has historical photographs of the building.