Mission San Carlos Borromeo del río Carmelo, also known simply as the Mission Carmel Basilica, was founded by the Roman Catholic Saint Junipero Serra as part of the 21 California missions.
In 1771 Junipero Serra established the Carmel Mission, which became the second California mission oriented towards native Americans living in the Monterey Bay. After the Basilica building was constructed in 1797, it operated as the first headquarters for the California missions.
Saint Junipero Serra was a disciple of Saint Francis of Assisi and was canonized by Pope Francis in 2015. A memorial was erected in the gardens of the Basilica in Junipero Serra’s honor.
The mission building has a chapel for mass, with various statues of religious figures along the wall, just as he other missions buildings do.
The Chapel Musuem has information on the history of the chapel, and of the religious figures who had worked for the past missions.
The mission building exhibited books from the first ever college library within its walls.
William Hartnell and Father Patrick Shortt has founded the first College “Patrocino de Senor San Jose”, which stands for Patronage Of Lord Saint Joseph, in California at the Rancho Alisal, within Salinas, in 1821.
The musuem has a section of an Oak tree that was alive in the 1600s during the founding of Monterey.
The musuem also has an exhibit on the Sierra Bible that Ronald Reagan had used when he was sworn in as governor of California.
In the courtyard, near the memorial to Junipero Sierra, was a decoration to the 200th anniversary of the Basilica building.