In 1881, Jonas Lindgren established the Glenwood Hot Springs, in Colorado, as a Swedish bath to help with his arthritis pain.
Miners from Aspen, Leadville and other areas were drawn to the hot springs, by the Colorado River, for the healing properties that it was advertised as having.
In 1938 the first paved road to Glen Canyon, near the springs, was established.
Soon after a paved road was established, members of the military serving during World War II were sent to Glenwood for rehabilitation purposes.
In present day the Glenwood Hot Springs has been re-established as the Iron Mountain Hot Springs.